Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TyroneSuperNut
Returning Member

Ongoing Problem With Personal Information With IRS

So... This all started when I Efiled my 2020 tax return, it was instantly rejected because the IRS says my information does not match. After a few weeks of trying to find solutions, people recommend me main in my return. 

Its been months since then, and only recently the "where's my refund" page says "take action" to get my information corrected with the IRS. I spend multiple days trying to get a human on the line and we finally do, we come to find out that when I was born, the social security department gave my information to the IRS in the wrong manner. Basically, they had my middle name as my last name. 

We then call the SSD and they insist that my information was correct all along, and then offered to send me a application to change or correct my information. A few business days pass and I get a new social security card in the mail. 

Now, the IRS sends me a letter in the mail asking me to call to verify my identity. I get a human on the line and we go through everything and she says she will put me on hold to "lift a hold on my account". During the hold the call is dropped and I haven't been able to get a human since. 

Well, about a week later I get another letter in the mail from the IRS, this time it has my full correct name on it, saying that I am eligible for a economic impact payment. Though, the "where's my refund" and the "get my payment" tools still say my information does not match. 

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a good sign? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Ongoing Problem With Personal Information With IRS

It sounds like the IRS had your name incorrect on their database and has fixed it.  The IRS is very far behind on updating things like where's my refund.  You may just get a check in the mail.  Keep checking the websites for updates.

The trick to getting a human somewhat quickly at the IRS is not to out in your social security number when it asks for it.  I put in 0# as my SSN and it tricks their phone system into sending the call to the top of the queue.   Still might take about 15 minutes for a person to get the call.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies