Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MamaTN

One W-2 with incorrect state but 2nd page (not corrected form) with correct state; both have same earnings

My daughter received a W-2 from her college job (college is in a different state).  There are 2 pages she received.  One of the W-2's shows both the federal earnings/withholdings (as per normal) and then the state.  However the state on this shows our home state (where she did NOT work) with the total earnings that match the federal earnings, along with state income tax.  Then the second W-2 shows the exact same earnings (which are the full earnings again) along with the state where she worked during college.  This one also has state income tax withholdings listed.  In Box 14 it says Fed W-2 Data is on Separate W-2.

I imported her W-2 and all of this shows in the Turbo Tax W-2 screen.  But did the company mess up on the W-2 and we need to contact them for a corrected W-2?  Or because they reported the exact same amount of full earnings to both states we just go with how it shows in Turbo Tax (and on these 2 W-2 pages).  I don't honestly know if they paid to both states or not.

I've never seen a W-2 like this.  Help please!  And Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

One W-2 with incorrect state but 2nd page (not corrected form) with correct state; both have same earnings

The state in which a taxpayer is a resident normally taxes all income from any state. If taxes are paid (not just withheld, but paid on a state tax return) to another state, the home state typically allows a credit on its return for taxes paid to another state. There are some exceptions; for example, some states have reciprocal agreements so that their residents don't have to file a return in the other state. Also, Arizona doesn't tax the Arizona income of California residents that will be taxed on the California return.

The employer correctly shows all earnings as potentially taxable by both states. In the Federal section of TurboTax, indicate that she is a resident of your home state and earned income in another state. 

When you live in one state and work in another, you often need to prepare two state tax returns - a nonresident return for the state in which you work and a resident return for the state in which you live. In this situation, you generally prepare the nonresident state return first. Follow the prompts in the nonresident state return in TurboTax to identify which income from your Federal return is sourced in that state. If there is tax due to that state, you may be able to claim a credit on your resident state return for the tax paid to the other state.

Some states have reciprocity agreements so that you don't have to prepare two returns if you only receive wages in the nonresident state.

See this article for information on states with reciprocity agreements.

See also this TurboTax article and this one on multiple-state situations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MamaTN

Thanks MonikaK1!

I had known that I would have to file 2 states but hadn't seen this form of the W-2 before so appreciate your feedback.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies