On the insurance question about both spouses working a both having hdhp insurance

bvanwaters

i have health insurance thru my employer as required and have the hdhp plan. i marked "self only" on form. my husband also has the hdhp plan at his work but has to claim self/family beause he carries our dgtr. on review it states i cannot list self on mine but his does not cover me, only our dgtr.
BMcCalpin

Because one of you (spouses) has Family coverage, then the IRS considers that both of you have family coverage.

To quote the IRS: "In the case of individuals who are married to each other, if either spouse has family coverage, both are treated as having family coverage." (IRS Notice 2004-2).

This sets the contribution limit to the family limit.