Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Old TurboTax files

My laptop has TurboTax files from 2017 to 2022. I use the desktop version which I download each year from the TurboTax CD. The hard drive on the laptop crashed a few months ago and I had to have it replaced. All the TurboTax files were recovered and were installed on the new hard drive but the original download for TurboTax  from 2017-2022 could not be recovered. When I install TurboTax 2023 will all the data from previous years migrate over to TurboTax? There are carry forward losses that I need to transfer to the 2023 version. If the data won't migrate, do I need to reinstall the 2017-2022 TurboTax CDs? I still have them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Old TurboTax files

If you have the .tax file for each year on your computer, you would not need the download software for the information to be brought into your tax return for this year. 

View solution in original post

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Old TurboTax files

You don't need the tax files for all the previous years. When you start your 2023 tax return, information is transferred only from the 2022 file. Information is carried from year to year, so the 2022 file includes any losses that were carried over from earlier years. The only file you need is the .tax2022 file. You do not need the 2022 program or CD, just the .tax2022 tax return file.

Since you are using a new computer, TurboTax for 2023 will not automatically find the 2022 file. On the screen that looks for the previous year's tax return you will have to click the Browse button, find the .tax2022 file, then click Open.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Old TurboTax files

If you have the .tax file for each year on your computer, you would not need the download software for the information to be brought into your tax return for this year. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Old TurboTax files

You don't need the tax files for all the previous years. When you start your 2023 tax return, information is transferred only from the 2022 file. Information is carried from year to year, so the 2022 file includes any losses that were carried over from earlier years. The only file you need is the .tax2022 file. You do not need the 2022 program or CD, just the .tax2022 tax return file.

Since you are using a new computer, TurboTax for 2023 will not automatically find the 2022 file. On the screen that looks for the previous year's tax return you will have to click the Browse button, find the .tax2022 file, then click Open.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies