Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

off-site community solar tax credit

on what form and line does one put the purchase price of a share (2%) of an OFF-site community solar project for a tax credit?

it is NOT form 5695, as that is for on-site fuel cell residential property tax credit.

it is NOT form 3800, as that is a general business credit, and I’m not a business.

it is NOT form 7207, as that is for manufacturers of solar energy components.

it is NOT schedule 3, part 1, line 5, form 5695, as that form is for on-site fuel cell residential property tax credit.

according to

https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/homeow[product key removed]al-tax-cr[product key removed]voltaics

What is the federal solar tax credit?  The federal residential solar energy credit is a tax credit that can be claimed on federal income taxes for a percentage of the cost of a solar PV system paid for by the taxpayer. (Other types of renewable energy are also eligible for similar credits but are beyond the scope of this guidance.)  The installation of the system must be complete during the tax year.

In August 2022, Congress passed an extension of the ITC, raising it to 30% for the installation of which was between 2022-2032.  There is no maximum amount that can be claimed.

Am I eligible to claim the federal solar tax credit? You might be eligible for this tax credit if you meet the following criteria: ... Or, you purchased an interest in an off-site community solar project, if the electricity generated is credited against, and does not exceed, your home’s electricity consumption.

I PARTICIPATE IN AN OFF-SITE COMMUNITY SOLAR PROGRAM?

The answer depends heavily on your specific circumstances. The IRS states in Questions 25 and 26 in its Q&A on Tax Credits (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-13-70.pdf) that off-site solar panels or solar panels that are not directly on the taxpayer’s home could still qualify for the residential federal solar tax credit under some circumstances. However, community solar programs can be structured in various ways, and even if you are eligible for the tax credit, it may be difficult to claim due to other tax rules.

unfortunately, the above articles do not specify where on the schedule 1040, or schedule 1, or schedule 3, or some other irs form, that one lists the purchase price and deducts the 30% tax credit from the tax bill.

so, where does one put the purchase price of their share of the community OFF-site solar panel project, and the 30% solar tax credit on the tax form, which tax form and what line?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You would put your share of the costs on form 5695, Line 1.  There isn't a separate form for your share of qualifying off-site solar property that is used by you at your residence.   Just be sure that you meet the requirements as outlined in the link shared in your initial post, and then treat your share of the expense as "qualified solar electric property costs" when answering TurboTax interviews or filling out the forms.

Qualified solar electric property isn't the same the same as qualified fuel cell property so don't answer the question on Line 7. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I'll page @Mike9241 

this answer is not helpful.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You would put your share of the costs on form 5695, Line 1.  There isn't a separate form for your share of qualifying off-site solar property that is used by you at your residence.   Just be sure that you meet the requirements as outlined in the link shared in your initial post, and then treat your share of the expense as "qualified solar electric property costs" when answering TurboTax interviews or filling out the forms.

Qualified solar electric property isn't the same the same as qualified fuel cell property so don't answer the question on Line 7. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

so, for form 5696, do I:

1. just fill in lines 1, 6a, 6b?
  2. leave these lines blank:  7 - 11.
  3. I have no carry over from 2022, so leave line 12 blank?
  4. I fill in lines 13 – 15.
  5. I have no carry over to 2024, so leave line 16 blank?
  6. just put line 15 on schedule 3 (form 1040) line 5a?
  7. since the project is off-site, for part II sections A and B, I just leave them blank?  correct? 
  8. and i'm done?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies