turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LWes
Level 1

NYPFL / NYSDI and Schedule A

After reading several other posts, I updated the deductions for both NY PFL and SDI to the 'Other Not Classified' option that was recommended.  The other posts all mentioned that these deductions were able to be claimed on Schedule A.  We itemize but I don't see it showing on Schedule A, and I didn't see a change in our refund after I updated this classification on the W2 screen - how do I get these payroll deductions to carryforward to schedule A as an itemized deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

NYPFL / NYSDI and Schedule A

For NYPFL you should select the category "New York Mandatory Paid Family Leave Contributions." For NYSDI, you should select the category "New York Nonoccupational Diaability Fund tax." The deductions will then be included in the amount of state and local income tax on Schedule A line 5a. They are not shown separately. These categories are specifically for the NYPFL and NYSDI deductions.

The deductions will not change your refund if your total state and local tax on Schedule A line 5d is $10,000 or more, because the total deduction for state and local taxes is capped at $10,000. They also will not change your refund unless your total itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies