Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krmsv
Returning Member

numbers not adding up on w-2 form

I am working on filing my taxes when realized that on my wife's W-2 there the numbers don't add up.  Line 1 is less than Line 3 and all other income reporting lines.  Now I know there are reasons for it to less.  She has been contributing to an IRA, but Line 1 is still a lot less than what she contributed.  She figured her bonus wasn't added in Line 1, but is added in Line 3 and all the other income reporting lines.  How should I go about filing my taxes with this senerio?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

suggest discussing with her employer as it could be a very good reason why Box 1 is so much less than Box 3 ;   Either they are going to explain it to you to your satisfaction that it is indeed correct or they are going to issue a corrected W-2.   Best not to assume it's wrong when it could in fact be right.

krmsv
Returning Member

Yes, we already know why its less.  I have done my own research on it and to me it appears that it really shouldn't be.  I have requested that she does talk about it, but she didn't want to do it.  My only other option I came up with is to file a 4852 form, if she didn't want to talk.  

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you believe her W-2 to be incorrect, then you really should speak with the employer as NCperson suggested above. If it is incorrect, the IRS prefers that the employer issue a W-2c before filing a 4852 form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies