Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Notice of Intent to Assess - 2021 Massachusetts College Tuition Audit

Back in July, I received a letter from Mass DOR that they determined I owe roughly $800 for "overreporting tuition payments" on my 2021 return. I thought that was odd and I checked my papers, and the 2021 return that I had done with TurboTax, and the numbers that I had entered matched the 1098-T for both kids. So I called Mass DOR and the person I spoke with said, and I am paraphrasing, "not to worry because they had not received the 1098-Ts from the colleges and were sending this audit letter to everybody". So I sent them copies of the 1098-Ts and thought I was done.
Yesterday, I received another letter that confirmed that they received my documents and that the initial assessment stands, including a calculation that supposedly shows the error, with 25% of my AGI  being less than the tuition amount that I claimed, and the amount that is the difference. 
My question - was there an error in Turbotax for the 2021 MA state tax returns that did not properly cap the claimed tuition amount at 25% of AGI, or how else did this happen? It looks like I entered everything correctly.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies