Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nonemployee Compensation

I work at a Bank which has a partner company. I do work for the partner company but receive compensation through my employer only. I got a Christmas Bonus from the partner company for helping out and so I received a 1099-NEC with the amount in Box 1. I wouldn't file this as self-employment right? And I'm not technically an employee there. So should it have been reported on a W-2? I'm not sure what type of income to label it as out of the listed options. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Nonemployee Compensation

If it was reported on 1099-NEC, it MUST be reported as Self-Employment income.

The IRS brought back Form 1099-NEC to avoid confusion, it cannot be reported any other way. 

Part of the reason is that the Payer, in your case the Parent Company, does not withhold FICA tax (your Social Security and Medicare Tax) and the only other way that can be collected is through Self-Employment tax. 

Self-Employment tax is both halves of the tax (Employer and Employee portion) however you also get a credit for the Employer's half that you pay.

It does seem like a burden for you to report the bonus this way, but unless they included it on your W-2, it's your only option. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Nonemployee Compensation

Thank you for the quick response! Turbo Tax is saying I'll have to fill out a SS-88? Is that accurate?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Nonemployee Compensation

It's not unusual.  The SS-8 is a form the IRS uses to determine whether you are an employee or self employed.  It is completed and mailed separately from your tax return You should fill it out and send it in for an actual determination.

Three things will happen when you complete the Form 8919:

1. You will be charged only the employee share of social security and medicare taxes.
  2. The IRS will go after the company for the other half employer share of the taxes
  3. The IRS will make a determination considering both the 8919 and the SS-8.

@Sadiehoffman7 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies