turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non resident tax filing

Hello. I left the US in February-23 and moved to another country where I have close ties. I lived in the US for the prior 5 years and filed taxes as a resident. I am not a US citizen nor was ever a permanent resident. I  meet the substantial presence test for 2023 due to stay in the prior years but not for 2024 and my permanent address and tax residence is now in a different country. I am trying to get clarity on the following questions for filing my tax return for 2023 and will appreciate any help:

1. Should I file a dual status tax return and 1040NR or should I file a 1040? I have a W-2 for the few months I worked in 2023 while in the US. I also received a 1099-INT, 1099-DIV and 1099-B. 

2. I received interest on US treasuries and  banks CDs (1099-INT). Is there no tax on US treasuries or interest from certificates of deposits with US banks for non residents? If I file a 1040NR, should I exclude this interest income? 

3. I had some capital gains and also had a long term capital loss (in the 1099-B that I received). Are capital gains not taxed for non residents and should the 1099-B gains/loss be excluded from the 1040NR? 

4. I received a 1099-DIV (interest from brokerage). Should I include this in the 1040NR? Is this dividend taxed at 30% for non residents?
5. I believe the standard deduction is not allowed for 1040NR. Can I take itemized deduction for state tax up to $10,000 in 1040NR?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies