Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

netbuyer4

Non resident rental income improperly included in state tax

I am a Vermont resident with rental income from California.  I worked for one day in Massachusets and recieved a W2 with VT taxes witheld. I am filing Federal, VT, CA and MA returns. When I fill out the MA return it tries to tax me on the CA rental income which has nothing to do with MA.  I have tried both include/exclude from MA income. I have tried to reconcile the amount by setting the MA value to zero but always end up with MA taxible income based on the rental. This causes a MA tax liability greater than the total income from the one day W2. I have deleted and repeated  the MA form multiple times and can see the VT taxes change by approximatly the same amount as the MA liability which means VT would improperly pay more to make up for the MA mistake.  Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
netbuyer4

Non resident rental income improperly included in state tax

Update. Managed to eliminate the improper rental income from MA by using the exclude option (worked the fifth time) but the W2 income that should be reported does not appear on line 5 of the final form even though it was 100% apportioned to MA.  Gave up and filled out MA nonresident form by hand and sent it by mail.  Turbotax would not let me delete the MA form in the software so I had to disable efile for MA. Hoping no issues arise from the difference between the mailed and turbotax unsubmitted form. Not going to use the online turbotax in the future, I belive the download version has better functionality when it comes to forms. Wasted around six hours trying to get this to work properly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies