Solved: Non-Farm Self-Employment Income Adjustment -> What should I enter in this? I cannot understand anything from the hyperlinks also

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s-aniltomar

Non-Farm Self-Employment Income Adjustment -> What should I enter in this? I cannot understand anything from the hyperlinks also

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

Non-Farm Self-Employment Income Adjustment -> What should I enter in this? I cannot understand anything from the hyperlinks also

As long as you didn't adjust your self-employed income (very uncommon) on the federal side, you don't need to enter anything here. Most people will not adjust their self-employment income. 

I assume you are in a state. he software gives these types of adjustment options in states to cover the extensive/uncommon situation (for example, clergy income has special rules/adjustments for self-employment).

You can let me know more in the comments.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AmandaR1

As long as you didn't adjust your self-employed income (very uncommon) on the federal side, you don't need to enter anything here. Most people will not adjust their self-employment income. 

I assume you are in a state. he software gives these types of adjustment options in states to cover the extensive/uncommon situation (for example, clergy income has special rules/adjustments for self-employment).

You can let me know more in the comments.  

View solution in original post

s-aniltomar

How and why do we need to adjust self-employed income? Could you please elaborate?
AmandaR1

There are two reasons.  

1) specific, very uncommon situations. Such as clergy and another situation I can think of is notary income or state grants for certain industry specific projects, which are taxable for federal. But, that's why I say, people nearly always know that they are in a 'different' situation that requires adjustment. There isn't actually any reason that normal self-employment income would be adjusted, so I wouldn't worry that you are missing out on anything - I know this line may make you feel that way! - it's deceiving.  

2) The most common reason this line might be used, is if you are a part-year resident and are filing in multiple states, with some income not earned in the state, or as a non-resident reporting income earned in the state. As a resident all earnings are reported.
s-aniltomar

Thanks a lot for your detailed response 🙂
It helps a lot.
Temp117

As self employed I used short SE form. That form is no longer. Why do now I have to use farm/non farm optional methods to move on from line 4 on the SE form. Never had to before.

Must I use any of these methods now?

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings