Solved: Non-Farm Self-Employment Income Adjustment -> What should I enter in this? I cannot understand anything from the hyperlinks also

s-aniltomar

Non-Farm Self-Employment Income Adjustment -> What should I enter in this? I cannot understand anything from the hyperlinks also

AmandaR1

As long as you didn't adjust your self-employed income (very uncommon) on the federal side, you don't need to enter anything here. Most people will not adjust their self-employment income. 

I assume you are in a state. he software gives these types of adjustment options in states to cover the extensive/uncommon situation (for example, clergy income has special rules/adjustments for self-employment).

You can let me know more in the comments.  

AmandaR1

s-aniltomar

How and why do we need to adjust self-employed income? Could you please elaborate?
AmandaR1

There are two reasons.  

1) specific, very uncommon situations. Such as clergy and another situation I can think of is notary income or state grants for certain industry specific projects, which are taxable for federal. But, that's why I say, people nearly always know that they are in a 'different' situation that requires adjustment. There isn't actually any reason that normal self-employment income would be adjusted, so I wouldn't worry that you are missing out on anything - I know this line may make you feel that way! - it's deceiving.  

2) The most common reason this line might be used, is if you are a part-year resident and are filing in multiple states, with some income not earned in the state, or as a non-resident reporting income earned in the state. As a resident all earnings are reported.
s-aniltomar

Thanks a lot for your detailed response 🙂
It helps a lot.
Temp117

As self employed I used short SE form. That form is no longer. Why do now I have to use farm/non farm optional methods to move on from line 4 on the SE form. Never had to before.

Must I use any of these methods now?