briandahayes

Non custodial parent not to claim as dependent needs SSN for Form it 209 non custodial earned income credit for paying for child support. Will this screw up my taxes?

My daughters father is the non custodial parent and he is not to claim her as a dependent. He asked for her SSN for form it-209 non custodial earned income credit that he qualifies for paying child support as he says. is this true or will it screw up my taxes? I thought only one parent can claim an earned income tax credit? how does this work?

DanielV01

This does not affect your taxes.  This seems to be a special provision for NY state taxes that does not change your claim on your Federal Return.  If he is current and qualifies (which you can see by clicking on this link:  https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it209i.pdf), he is entitled to claim this Credit for New York if he qualifies, but this does not prevent you from claiming your children.  

From a practical standpoint, this is also good for you:  if he is able to claim your children for this credit, he also has incentive to keep current on his child support payment, which is a plus for you and your children.