Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SMK24
Returning Member

Nominee dividends not subtracted from schedule D. Software error

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@SMK24   wrote:  "Nominee dividends not subtracted from schedule D. Software error"

More info is needed to understand your situation.  It's unclear why you mention Schedule D.

Ordinary dividends are reported on Schedule B.   Or are you referring to capital gain distributions reported on Schedule D?   

What tax form are you trying to nominee part of to someone else--a 1099-DIV, a 1099-B, etc.?

And are you using the desktop software as opposed to Online TurboTax?

SMK24
Returning Member

Meant Schedule B. Information is imported from brokerage, I follow steps to adjust, select nominee, and the input $ amount. In prior versions, the taxable amount of my dividend  would be reduced by value I input into nominee. 

I just ran a test scenario on a $1200 dividend of which $850 was nominee dividend, and this is what I saw along the route.  And then I went into Forms Mode to look at Schedule B, where the nominee dividend was subtracted out of the total.  Are you experiencing something different than these 3 images?   Is it not showing on Schedule B in Forms Mode?

nominee1.pngnominee2.pngnominee3.png

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Note that on Schedule B the full amount from the 1099-DIV is entered at the top of the dividend section. The nominee amount is subtracted all the way at the bottom of Schedule B. See the screen shot of Schedule B that mesquitebean posted. That's how the IRS says to do it.

Is the amount on Form 1040 line 3b reduced by the nominee amount?

If it's not right, try deleting the imported 1099-DIV and entering it manually.

SMK24
Returning Member

Correct it is not showing the subtraction on schedule B

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is there anything on the 1099-DIV besides total ordinary dividends in box 1a and qualified dividends in box 1b?

Delete the 1099-DIV and reenter it manually. Does the subtraction then appear at the bottom of Schedule B Part II?

Is the amount on Form 1040 line 3b correct?

what line are the dividends on for the actual 1099-DIV

Turbotax does not always do the calculation correctly

for example $5000 of ordinary dividends line1 and $5000 capital gain dividends line 2a and $300 of nominee dividends relating only to line 1. Turbotax will not allocate the whole $300 to line 1 but rather allocates between the two lines so $150 would go to schedule B and $150 would reduce capital gain dividends reported on schedule D.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies