Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No 1099 -- what's the best way forward?

Treasury Direct doesn't send out 1099s. Instead, we must go online and look at the tax information there. My wife died in May, and it took me till January to regain control of her Tsy Dir account. It was a trust; I'm the successor trustee, which requires a new tax ID instead of her Social Security Number. New tax ID means a new account, and the new account has absolutely no tax information except for interest earned on March 15 and April 1 -- and that of course is for 2024 and no use. I have spent hours on the phone with their "help" people, who all say that I can't get a paper 1099 for 2023. (I'm pretty sure they're wrong, because our daughter died in September and did get a paper 1099 in the mail, but I couldn't convince the "help" people of that. You can't believe how arrogant and unhelpful they are.) I wrote a letter to Minneapolis asking for a paper form but of course have received no answer.

So what's my best way forward? I have an extension, but since it took eight months to change the tax ID and actually log into her account, I'm not optimistic that I'll have the information before October. Should I use a rough estimate of the figure, based on the brokerage account where the interest was deposited last year? And how do I actually enter that information -- fake up a 1099-INT in TurboTax?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks! - Dan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can enter it as though you did get a 1099-INT and use the information from the account for the close estimate of the interest your wife received.

Use the steps outlined in the link below to enter the interest even though you do not have the 1099-INT.

Please update here if you have more questions and we can help.  I send my sympathies for the losses you have endured.

@slowreader 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

TT has a provision where you indicate that you did not receive a 1099 and enter the information on your own. The year end statement would have the most accurate information for you to complete the form.

Thanks! How do I access that option? Step-by-Step? In Forms, I see the option to add a new 1099, but that brings up the actual form; it's not a way to work around the absence of a form. I typed NO 1099 in the help menu and got a lot of unrelated answers.  I'm not nearly so familiar with Step-by-Step, but when I look at it, I see the same thing: I can add a new 1099 but I don't see anyway to enter the information separately, the way I can do on Schedule C by inserting a figure in a separate line where I got a $400 check from a magazine that didn't send out tax forms because the amount was under $600. In the case of interest, the minimum is only $10 so I figure that it can just be forgotten as a rounding error.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can enter it as though you did get a 1099-INT and use the information from the account for the close estimate of the interest your wife received.

Use the steps outlined in the link below to enter the interest even though you do not have the 1099-INT.

Please update here if you have more questions and we can help.  I send my sympathies for the losses you have endured.

@slowreader 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reassurance! - Dan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies