Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ-1040NR: Reporting of Income

Hello -

I have searched this forum and seem to get mixed messaging here, hopefully someone can assist and provide some direction.

Background: Live in NY, but worked in in various states throughout the year (including NJ), and my employer withheld state taxes for the states I did work in.

During the NJ interview, I get to the following screen:

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 4.49.23 PM.png

It's not clear what this means. I am supposed to check (i.e., "Remove These Wages") all the states except NJ, or am I supposed to check all states except my state of residence (i.e., NY) which is the same as my federally taxable wage?

Thank you in advanced 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

NJ-1040NR: Reporting of Income

The question being asked here is for you to "Remove these wages" for any state line of wages that is duplicating the actual amount that should be taxed by NJ.  Your NJ return should be taxing only the wages you earned while working in NJ for this employer. 

The other information being added is that because of certain exempt wages for federal income tax, such as Section 125 cafeteria plan amounts, which are taxable for New Jersey you should not be surprised if the NJ portion of your wages are higher than your federal wages.

• By selecting Add another state, it's important to make sure all of the entry in the W-2 for the same employer covers all states shown that have wages and withholding on your W-2. This is completed in the federal interview. 
  • Next, if you add the New Jersey (NJ) wages and withholding in the W-2, then it should carry to the NJ return. Once you confirm you have taken these steps go back to the NJ return.

My example did not come to the same screen, and possibly because all entry is in the federal W-2. See the image below for assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies