Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New parents- unmarried. Who should claim our daughter? I made 9950 and he made 26230. Will he receive more back or are we in the same bracket? We live in upstate NY.

She was born oct 2016. We live in Rochester NY.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

New parents- unmarried. Who should claim our daughter? I made 9950 and he made 26230. Will he receive more back or are we in the same bracket? We live in upstate NY.

Assuming you live together, probably you. The tax rules are complicated and convoluted*. The only way to be sure is compare. You can use this tool to compare. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1.

He is the only one who can claim Head of Household filing status, since he pays most of the household expenses. But he can only do so if he is claiming the child. You don't have enough income to get a benefit from claiming HoH.

In the TurboTax (TT) dependent  interview say the child lived with you all year. This is allowed for newborns.

*For example, your age actually matters. If you are under age 25, you don't get the Earned Income Credit unless you are claiming a child.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Assuming you live together, probably you. The tax rules are complicated and convoluted*. The only way to be sure is compare. You can use this tool to compare. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1.

He is the only one who can claim Head of Household filing status, since he pays most of the household expenses. But he can only do so if he is claiming the child. You don't have enough income to get a benefit from claiming HoH.

In the TurboTax (TT) dependent  interview say the child lived with you all year. This is allowed for newborns.

*For example, your age actually matters. If you are under age 25, you don't get the Earned Income Credit unless you are claiming a child.

Thank you! I am 24 and he is 26 so I think it may be beneficial for him to claim her. That tool helped a lot as well, thanks again!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies