Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shelzmike
Returning Member

New LLC Created in 2021, Spouse and I are the only members, no income from LLC, just expenses. Disregarded entity?

Perhaps I am overthinking this since it is the first time I have filed taxes since we set this legal LLC up.

We started an LLC that we will eventually use as a property management/rental/investment company. Basically, we will buy some homes, renovate them, and rent them.

We started the LLC last year and are just now finishing up our first house. All we had last year were expenses because we were still remodeling the first home.

The LLC is only my wife and myself and we would be filing married filing joint. I do have a day job and have income from that. She has no income as she is a stay at home mother and home maker and has been for 18 years (in other words, nothing major has changed other than starting this other venture).

Since we are married filing joint, can this be treated as a single member disregarded entity - i.e. we file one regular personal tax return with a Schedule-C attached for the business income?

Edit: I should have mentioned we are in VA, so not a community property state. I believe that we can be treated as a disregarded entity. If so, which version of TT should I use for this? Everything else is fairly simple for us.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

New LLC Created in 2021, Spouse and I are the only members, no income from LLC, just expenses. Disregarded entity?

As a general rule, an LLC that is owned by a husband and wife is treated by the IRS as a Partnership for tax purposes (unless the LLC elects to be treated as a Corporation).

A husband/wife LLC cannot be disregarded entity unless it is in a community property state.

Election for Married Couples Unincorporated Businesses | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies