Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Job

I just started a job as an independent contractor. I will be a 1099 employee. I understand that I am responsible for paying taxes quarterly but I'm not sure where to even start with that. Can you please provide me some guidance. A second question - if my husband and I file taxes jointly and he has his taxes taken out every paycheck like most W2 employees, do I still have to pay taxes quarterly on my job. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

New Job

You can either pay the estimated taxes or have his withholding increased to cover your estimated taxes.   Taxes must be paid as you earn or receive income during the year, either through withholding or estimated tax payments. If the amount of income tax withheld from your salary or pension is not enough, or if you receive income such as interest, dividends, alimony, self-employment income, capital gains, prizes and awards, you may have to make estimated tax payments. If you are in business for yourself, you generally need to make estimated tax payments. Estimated tax is used to pay not only income tax, but other taxes such as self-employment tax and alternative minimum tax.

TurboTax can help you with this.   Use the links below to use TurboTax to prepare Form 1040-ES vouchers

Estimate next year's federal taxes

Estimate next year's state taxes

When you're self-employed, federal, state, and Social Security taxes aren't taken out of the income you receive.   Instead of paying the entire amount you owe in April, setting up estimated tax payments gives you the flexibility to make four smaller payments during the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies