Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

New Job - part time

I am a student and I am taking a part time remote job.

My question: the job is remote.  I am a resident of New York but I go to school in PA.

Which state do I put on my W2 form?   Can I put NY only and pay taxes in NY only?
I plan to deduct 30% of my rent/utilities as business expenses.  As the apartment is in PA... can I still claim those expenses if I file in New York only?

Thank you.


1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

New Job - part time

Hello Artsypants,


You should have both PA and NY taxes with held from your check.


You will file a nonresident PA tax return and pay taxes due or get a refund based on your tax liability


You will file a NY resident return and get a credit on it for taxes paid to PA and pay taxes to NY or get a refund based on your tax liability


As far as deducting the business expense on your federal return as of 2018 the IRS only allows this deduction if you are self employed, if you get paid on a W-2 then the deduction is not allowed.


You may be able to deduct the business expenses on the NY return if you meet all the qualifications.


The same applies to PA.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies