Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbm43

needs review on 2024 fed return, line to report my RMD for income received from my Federal Thrift Saving plan will not permit entry. keeps taking me to list of banks. When type in thrift savings plan it does not recognize.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

needs review on 2024 fed return, line to report my RMD for income received from my Federal Thrift Saving plan will not permit entry. keeps taking me to list of banks. When type in thrift savings plan it does not recognize.

Did you receive a Form 1099-R for this RMD? A Form CSA-1099-R?

You should enter this Form 1099-R into TurboTax as it is shown. And answer all the follow-up prompts about this RMD.  If you got a Form CSA 1099-R, enter it under CSA-1099-R.

CSA 1099-R, Statement of Annuity Paid, is a variation of the 1099-R form for Federal retirees. It’s used to report civil service retirement payments (i.e. Thrift Savings Plan).

To enter your CSA 1099-R into TurboTax:

1. Sign in to your account and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Your 1099-R screen, select Yes and then Continue.
    • If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R.
  4. At the import screen, select Type it in myself and then Continue.
  5. Select the CSA-1099-R option (verify the right spouse is selected, if applicable) and Continue to enter the information from your CSA 1099-R.

The IRS requires RMD amounts to be calculated starting in the year you (or your spouse) turned 72 (73 if you turned 72 after Dec. 31, 2022). An actual RMD amount is not shown on your Form 1099-R.

If you are 72 and older, TurboTax will ask several questions when entering your 1099-R information. The purpose of these questions is to help you determine if you have met all of the RMD criteria so that you can avoid the IRS penalty.

Note: Your 1099-R issuer is required to follow RMD rules and regulations, so if you received a distribution and you're at least 72 years young, you can be almost certain you received an RMD. Check with your plan administrator if you're still not sure.

Click here for What is an RMD?

Click here for Why Don't I Have an RMD Amount Listed?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies