turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to cancel my payment method I re did my taxes and the amount is different

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure how far along you are in the process.

If you haven't filed yet, the process is easy.  Simply make the changes to your return.

As you go through the filing process, you can change your payment method.

If your return is Rejected, things can be a little easier

• You do not have to Amend the return.
  • First correct whatever the return was rejected for
  • Then make the changes as noted above.

If you have already filed and your file is Accepted the process is more complicated.

• If your return shows as ACCEPTED there is not much you can do to change the payment method.
  • The IRS addresses this:
    • "Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method."
    • "Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling."
    • See Cancellations, errors and questions for more details.
  • You will then also have to AMEND your tax return to make the changes you previously mentioned.

If you want to make changes to a tax return that has already been submitted and was accepted, you should follow these guidelines to amend your return.

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed.
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return.
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return. 
    • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due
    • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending.
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment

Sign in to TurboTax

1. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and 
  2. select the year you want to amend
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then 
  4. Amend using TurboTax Online
    1. If you're told to amend your return via TurboTax Desktop, follow the steps for TurboTax CD/Download below instead.
  5. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue.
  6. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select Start next to the info you need to change.
  7. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure how far along you are in the process.

If you haven't filed yet, the process is easy.  Simply make the changes to your return.

As you go through the filing process, you can change your payment method.

If your return is Rejected, things can be a little easier

• You do not have to Amend the return.
  • First correct whatever the return was rejected for
  • Then make the changes as noted above.

If you have already filed and your file is Accepted the process is more complicated.

• If your return shows as ACCEPTED there is not much you can do to change the payment method.
  • The IRS addresses this:
    • "Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method."
    • "Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling."
    • See Cancellations, errors and questions for more details.
  • You will then also have to AMEND your tax return to make the changes you previously mentioned.

If you want to make changes to a tax return that has already been submitted and was accepted, you should follow these guidelines to amend your return.

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed.
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return.
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return. 
    • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due
    • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending.
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment

Sign in to TurboTax

1. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and 
  2. select the year you want to amend
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then 
  4. Amend using TurboTax Online
    1. If you're told to amend your return via TurboTax Desktop, follow the steps for TurboTax CD/Download below instead.
  5. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue.
  6. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select Start next to the info you need to change.
  7. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies