If the amount is reported in Box 3 of your 1099-Misc, you enter it as other income on Line 21 of your tax return. You do not have to file a Schedule C for that amount, since you are not considered self employed. You may delete Schedule C if you are using it to report Only the income from the 1099-Misc.
Try the steps below to enter Box 3 income from 1099-Misc:
- Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)
- Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)
- Click "I'll choose what I work on."
- On the screen "Your 2017 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
- Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
- On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the
- Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
- The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
- On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
- On the next screen click Done.The income will be reported on Form 1040 line 21 with the description that you entered.
If it's a 1099-Misc, with an amount in Box 7, you are considered self-employed and enter the income and expenses in Schedule C. Also, you will have to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed.
We'll automatically create and fill out Schedule C or C-EZ when you set up your business in TurboTax, or when you enter what the IRS considers self-employment income (often reported on a 1099-MISC).
Schedules C and C-EZ are supported in TurboTax Self-Employed (online and mobile app) and in all personal 1040 versions of the TurboTax CD/Download software.
To set up your business:
- Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open.
- Inside TurboTax, search for schedule c and click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? or Did you have any income and expenses for a business in 2017? and follow the onscreen instructions.
Or, if you need the Schedule C to report a 1099-MISC, search for 1099misc, then click/tap the "Jump to" link in the search results. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC? and follow the directions. We'll ask questions to find out if the income needs to go on Schedule C or C-EZ; if it does, we'll add the schedule to your return.
Note: On returns that only require Schedule C-EZ, we'll also generate Schedule C, but this is only used for calculation purposes and isn't filed with the return.