Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife (pastor) has Form 4361 for tax purposes. She had a child this year and received family leave pay where taxes were withheld. Which boxes do we check for this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

My wife (pastor) has Form 4361 for tax purposes. She had a child this year and received family leave pay where taxes were withheld. Which boxes do we check for this?

You have to actually turn the W2 into 2 separate W2 forms. Put all of the minister income with the zeroes in the boxes on one W2. The second W2 will house the maternity leave and the taxes on the income. Only the W2 with zeroes will be marked as minister wages.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If she received a W-2, enter the information exactly as indicated.

Did she receive a 1099-G? Enter that in the Unemployment section--which simply means the IRS did not require your employer to withhold any taxes but you are still subject to taxes now.

From the left menu>Federal>Wages & Income>Add more income>Unemployment Show More>Unemployment and paid family leave

She didn’t receive a 1099-G since it wasn’t unemployment.  Her 6 weeks of short-term disability (standard maternity leave) with a 3rd party insurance company was taxed and is reflected in her W2. I checked the boxes indicating her income was from paid family leave and religious employment.  The confusion I have is later in the form when Turbo Tax asks me to verify the SE tax.  I check that she has an approved Form 4361 but it doesn’t seem to accept that box since she has the exemption and also has figures in boxes 2-6 for taxes while on maternity leave. When TurboTax checks for errors, it takes me back to the form (questions 7&8 where I have to check under clergy or non-clergy pay.  I think 7f would be the correct choice but it doesn’t let me select it without taking me back for review.  Any addition clarity would be appreciated...thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You have to actually turn the W2 into 2 separate W2 forms. Put all of the minister income with the zeroes in the boxes on one W2. The second W2 will house the maternity leave and the taxes on the income. Only the W2 with zeroes will be marked as minister wages.

Thank you!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies