Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Wife is a realtor for, Business equipment we want to write off the expense for PC, Printer, Etc, What are the guidelines.? Depreciation 179.?

My Wife is a realtor for, Business equipment we want to write off the expense for PC, Printer, Etc,What are the guidelines.? Do we use Home office Depreciation 179 every year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

My Wife is a realtor for, Business equipment we want to write off the expense for PC, Printer, Etc, What are the guidelines.? Depreciation 179.?

The best way is to make the de minimis safe harbor election which allows you to expense all equipment with a unit cost of $2,500 or less.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

In TurboTax, you can make this election in the asset section when TurboTax asks if you have bought assets costing $2,500 or less.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does your wife receive a W-2 or a 1099-NEC? Only self-employed persons can take business expenses. Employees are no longer allowed to do so.

If you use a portion of your home regularly and exclusively for business, you can declare a home office and take depreciation. You do not need a home office in order to expense equipment. You can depreciate it over its useful life or you can take a Section 179 deduction. If you choose Section 179, you must keep the piece of equipment for its useful life or pay back some of the 179 deduction you took.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies