Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My wife has to buy dress cloths for work. Can we take purchase off taxes? if so where do we put it?

1 Reply
New Member

My wife has to buy dress cloths for work. Can we take purchase off taxes? if so where do we put it?

No, dress clothes are not deductible as a job related expense. It isn't enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you don't, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

Examples of workers who may be able to deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes are: delivery workers, firefighters, health care workers, law enforcement officers, letter carriers, professional athletes, and transportation workers (air, rail, bus, etc.). See 2016 Publication 529 - . 


You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met:

  • You must wear them as a condition of your employment and
  • The clothes aren't suitable for everyday wear.

As an employee, you may be able to deduct certain unreimbursed expenses that the IRS considers "ordinary and necessary" to do your job. That would include things like:

  • Union dues
  • Tools
  • Dues or subscriptions to professional societies
  • Licenses
  • Travel and meals for business, including DOT per diem
  • Home office
  • Excess educator expenses
  • Education that either maintains or improves job skills or is required to keep your salary or job.
  • However, employees can't deduct mileage or commuting costs between their home and main workplace.

Job-related expenses aren't fully deductible as they're subject to the 2% rule.

If you are a W-2 employee, you do not have to use the self-employed version of TurboTax. You may use:

  • TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier and Self-Employed.
  • TurboTax CD\Download Deluxe, Premier and Home & Business.

To enter your Unreimbursed Job-related expenses like mileage, in home office expenses, and meals:

1.    Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.    In the search box, search for 2106 and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

3.    At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation.

4.    Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.  

If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either Edit expenses for an existing job or click Add Another Occupation to enter expenses for a new one.

Note: Unreimbursed job-related expenses (Form 2106), tax preparation fees, investment or advisory fees, and safe deposit box rentals, are subject to the 2% rule. See What is the 2% rule?

Under the 2% rule, you're only allowed to deduct the portion of miscellaneous expenses that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). You must also itemize to get this deduction.

Related Information:


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies