Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are on a non-immigrant visa (J-1, J-2). We are considered residents for tax purposes and want to file our taxes jointly. I have a SSN but my wife doesn't.

My wife recently applied for a work permit and will obtain a SSN through that. How can we file our tax return jointly if she has no SSN yet. I looked for the ITIN option but it looks like that can take up to 7 weeks (which is after the tax due date). Should we file for an extension while waiting for her work permit with her SSN to arrive?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

My wife and I are on a non-immigrant visa (J-1, J-2). We are considered residents for tax purposes and want to file our taxes jointly. I have a SSN but my wife doesn't.

If her Social Security application is currently pending, I'd file an extension and wait for the Social Security number so that you have an easier filing situation going forward. 

However, if that application hasn't yet been started or she's not eligible for a Social Security number, then you can apply for the ITIN with the return attached.  The ITIN Operations department will forward your tax return after they issue her ITIN with the date stamp of the date of receipt in their office  If you apply for an ITIN, I recommend filing an extension anyway just to cover your bases.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies