Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adeljabb

My W2 lists two versions of wages and income tax. One for New York and one for "TOTAL STATE". I did not work/live in New York for all of last year. Is this wrong?

For Boxes 15-20: My TOTAL STATE slip doest have any wages but it does have state/local income tax, and local wages. My NYC slip has wages and state income tax but nothing else. This is odd because I did not work or live in NYC in 2023. I did in 2022, but not 2023. Is my W2 wrong? Should I reach out to my employer?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

My W2 lists two versions of wages and income tax. One for New York and one for "TOTAL STATE". I did not work/live in New York for all of last year. Is this wrong?

Yes, you should reach out to your employer. However, if your employer is in New York (NY), then see the information next.  If you do file the NY return you will qualify for credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income for your resident state.  It's not clear if you do live in NY.  If it's New York City (NYC) only that is an issue, you should speak to your employer.

If you do live in NY state you can ignore the following information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must file Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you:

• were not a resident of New York State and received income during the tax year from New York State sources, or
  • moved into or out of New York State during the tax year.

Your working days should not include weekends or vacation days if you did not work. 

If you are a New York State nonresident you must file Form IT-203Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you meet any of the following conditions:

• You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.
  • You want to claim a refund of any New York State, New York City, or Yonkers income taxes withheld from your pay.
  • You want to claim any of the refundable or carryover credits available.
  • You had a net operating loss for New York State personal income tax purposes for the tax year, without having a similar net operating loss for federal income tax purposes.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies