Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marky17
Returning Member

My w2 and paystubs show federal taxes withheld from check but employer never remitted that portion to the irs

I received a letter from the IRS for income verification. I found out through SS that they were not reporting the income properly.  They showed on my stubs and w2 that federal taxes were being withheld but I have a feeling they never remitted the monies they took from my pay to the IRS.  Isn't the employer responsible?  Am i liable for them doing this fraud?  Will I receive my return that is owed or will I owe money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My w2 and paystubs show federal taxes withheld from check but employer never remitted that portion to the irs

1. Contact Your Employer:

• First, reach out to your employer to confirm when they plan to send your W-2. Employers are required to provide this form by the end of January.
    • If you still haven’t received it by the end of February, proceed to the next steps.
  2. Call the IRS:

• Dial the IRS at 800-829-1040. Be prepared to provide the following information:
      • Your name, address, and phone number.
      • Your Social Security number or individual tax ID number.
      • Dates when you worked for the employer.
      • Employer’s name, address, and phone number.
    • The IRS will contact your employer and request the missing W-2. They’ll also send you a Form 4852, which serves as a substitute for the W-2. You can use this form to file your tax return without the W-2.
  3. Estimate Your Wages:

• If you need to file your taxes before receiving the W-2, use your paycheck stubs to estimate your wages.
    • Complete Form 4852 and attach it to your tax return

not all versions of Turbotax have the form

if not, you'll need to download it from the IRS website and mail in your return

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf 

when mailing use a tracking service so you know the IRS got it.

if you have a state return the form they may have their own form 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies