My state and federal returns were rejected. Does the grace period of 5 business days apply also to the state return I tried to efile?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graves3085

My state and federal returns were rejected. Does the grace period of 5 business days apply also to the state return I tried to efile?

Will I have to pay a penalty on my state return that was rejected when I efiled?

1 Reply
JodiC

The amount of time you have to re-efile a rejected return is specific to the state you live in.  Here is an awesome website you can go to see what your specific state rules are  https://cs.thomsonreuters.com/ua/ut/e-file-guide/us-map.htm 

Penalties only accrue if you don't pay your tax due before the 15th, it is not connected to your e-file being accepted or rejected.  So if you don't owe taxes you definitely won't get a penalty.  If you do owe taxes ensure to make a payment or set up a payment plan with the state taxing authority before today to ensure you don't accrue any penalties.  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings