turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse just became a U.S. resident and does not yet have a SSN. I am trying to file for an extension since I do not have his SSN, but the extension requires his SSN

We will file jointly, I am just waiting on getting his SSN to be able to file. How do I file for an extension in the meantime without his SSN?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

My spouse just became a U.S. resident and does not yet have a SSN. I am trying to file for an extension since I do not have his SSN, but the extension requires his SSN

You can submit an online extension and just leave your spouse's name off the form. Nobody has to sign or report their filing status on an application for extension.

If you prefer, you can include your spouse's name on a paper extension, and list his SSN/ITIN as "Applied For".  Refer to IRS Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, complete and print the form, and send it to the IRS address for your state.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL

You can submit an online extension and just leave your spouse's name off the form. Nobody has to sign or report their filing status on an application for extension.

If you prefer, you can include your spouse's name on a paper extension, and list his SSN/ITIN as "Applied For".  Refer to IRS Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, complete and print the form, and send it to the IRS address for your state.

@TurboTaxToddL  Thank you! That was the answer I was looking for!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies