Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Spouse is not working and doesnt have a SSN. what needs to be entered during filing in spouse SSN field?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My Spouse is not working and doesnt have a SSN. what needs to be entered during filing in spouse SSN field?

what's her citizen ship or residency status? 

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

If your spouse does not have a Social Security number, and she is not eligible for one, she should apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or ITIN. The tax return should be prepared using 999-99-9999 for the person without an ITIN.  When the return is printed you should remove that number and leave it blank. 

To apply for an ITIN, complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual.

You can mail the W-7 and documentation to the address in the Form W-7 Instructions. Bring it to your local IRS office, or use an acceptance agent (colleges, financial institutions, or accounting firms that are authorized by the IRS to assist applicants in obtaining ITINs). They'll review the W-7 and documentation before sending it to the IRS.

@ksingh3017

[Edited 2/13/24 | 6:49AM PST ]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies