Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse is a US citizen and she is living outside the US for work. How I can change her residency

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My spouse is a US citizen and she is living outside the US for work. How I can change her residency

For what purpose?  The only address you need to put on your tax return is where you want to get tax-related mail.  It does not have to be the place you live.  As a US citizen, your wife is required to report and pay US tax on all her worldwide income, even if she is living outside the US. (She can claim a deduction or credit for taxes paid overseas on the same income.)

Her residency would only be important if she qualifies for the foreign earned income exclusion, which requires that she live overseas at least 330 days of the year. 

[Edited to add]

Her foreign residency could also be important for state income taxes, as mentioned below, but only if she has changed her domicile, which is her real permanent home and the place she would return to if the foreign assignment ended.

TomD8
Level 15

If your wife is out of the country temporarily for work purposes, and her primary, main home (her domicile in tax terminology) is still in the U.S., then for tax purposes she is still a resident of her home state.  However, if she has moved to another country and that country is now her domicile, then in the Personal Info section of TT, at the bottom of the State of Residence drop-down window, select Foreign or U.S. Possession.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies