Solved: My spouse became a permanent resident on December 20, 2017.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My spouse became a permanent resident on December 20, 2017.

1) Should I file married filing jointly?

2) Is he exempt from fines for not having healthcare before December?

3) Do we report his Mexican income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

1. Yes. Absolutely. For a married couple to file separately is the most expensive and costly way to file tax-wise.

2. I think so, if they were not in the country and are not a U.S. citizen. Not sure on that, but the program will know if you answer the questions correctly. Remember to read the small print before answering a question or making a selection.

3. Yes. All worldwide income is reported. That doesn't mean it's taxable. But it does have to be reported.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

1. Yes. Absolutely. For a married couple to file separately is the most expensive and costly way to file tax-wise.

2. I think so, if they were not in the country and are not a U.S. citizen. Not sure on that, but the program will know if you answer the questions correctly. Remember to read the small print before answering a question or making a selection.

3. Yes. All worldwide income is reported. That doesn't mean it's taxable. But it does have to be reported.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings