Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is 25, he gets s.s.i., I am his guardian.. Can I claim him as my dependant?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My son is 25, he gets s.s.i., I am his guardian.. Can I claim him as my dependant?

Possibly. Your son would be your dependent if he is your Qualifying Child or Qualifying Relative. 

Because he was 25 in 2017, he could be your Qualifying Child if he is permanently and totally disabled.

If this is not the case, he could be your Qualifying Relative if he lives with you, did not earn more than $4,050 (SSI does not count as earned income), you provide more than half his support and you are the only person that claims him.

When you answer the interview questions in the TurboTax software, it will explain to you if you should claim your son.

If you need more information, please click the link below.

CLICK HERE for TurboTax The Rules to Claim a Dependent

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Possibly. Your son would be your dependent if he is your Qualifying Child or Qualifying Relative. 

Because he was 25 in 2017, he could be your Qualifying Child if he is permanently and totally disabled.

If this is not the case, he could be your Qualifying Relative if he lives with you, did not earn more than $4,050 (SSI does not count as earned income), you provide more than half his support and you are the only person that claims him.

When you answer the interview questions in the TurboTax software, it will explain to you if you should claim your son.

If you need more information, please click the link below.

CLICK HERE for TurboTax The Rules to Claim a Dependent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies