My son is 17 yrs old and received a 1099-misc form for 1805.00 for the year. That is his ONLY income. Does he need to file taxes for that amount

Yes, if the amount was in box 7 of the 1099-misc. The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one. 

So, even though no income tax will be due; he has to file to pay his self employment tax, about $258