My son did not work last year , does not have a W2. but did help a gym as a non employee and received a 1099-MISC box 7 $3900.00 does he have to file a return NY?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son did not work last year , does not have a W2. but did help a gym as a non employee and received a 1099-MISC box 7 $3900.00 does he have to file a return NY?

2 Replies
Level 4

Yes, he is required to file a New York state return. Since he is required to file a federal return he is also required to file a New York return.

Please view the New York link below for more information.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/residents.htm

Level 15

"my son did not work last year"

A Form 1099-MISC with income in Box 7 is considered self-employed income by the IRS, which means there will be could be some self-employment taxes as well, depending on the net amount of self-employment income (profit.)
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings