Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MACINWWWV

My sister's West Virginia state efile return was rejected. The Turbo Tax explanation says that this will be an upcoming product release on or after 2/10/2023.

The error message says, "If Schedule M, Line 37 contains a value, then a prepaid tuition pdf is a required attachment."  Then, "What needs to be done?"  Then This issue will be resolved in an upcoming product release.  Please update your software on or after 02/10/2023, run a final review of your state return, make the appropriate change, and resubmit this return electronically. W apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."  However, there has apparently been no update to provide any additional instructions.  Any idea what I should do now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

My sister's West Virginia state efile return was rejected. The Turbo Tax explanation says that this will be an upcoming product release on or after 2/10/2023.

That issue has not been resolved yet, but you can mail your return in if you want by following these instructions:

1. Log back into your return and use the Fix My Return option

2. Choose the File  option on your left menu bar 

3. Go through the E-file options until you see an option to change to File your return by mail

4. Print out and mail your return

Include the prepaid tuition document with your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MACINWWWV

Thanks.  That solves the problem for my sister (though not the way she preferred).  However, it doesn't solve it for me.  I did my own taxes, and mailed them in.  Because of the requirement to submit documentation for the 529 contributions (was never required in previous years), no doubt, my return will also bounce, whenever they get around to looking at it.  Trouble is, I sent my other documentation (1099-R) in with that return, so if I send a new return with the 529 documentation, it will be missing the 1099-R documentation.  I DO have copies of the 1099-R (the one you keep with the taxpayer's records).  But I don't know if they would accept that copy, or if having submitted two returns would just confuse them.  Should I just wait for my return to be rejected?  Sure would have been nice if Turbo Tax had told us about this requirement to begin with, or at least, could offer some advice on how to deal with it.

This also just happened to my return.  Aargh.  It went through fine last year. 

My question is - how likely is it that this will actually get fixed before April 15 this year?  Is there any other place in Turbotax where filers have the ability to upload a document they received (e.g. in this case the prepaid tuition account statement, apparently)?  Or would it get fixed by having us type some values from the account statement into a new Turbotax dialogue box?

Since I already paid to do it electronically, I would greatly prefer to have it go through that way rather than having to print it and mail it in, if possible.

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@MACINWWWV  Please wait until your first return has been rejected before filing another return. 

You should make a copy of your 1099-R and send them the duplicate with the new return.

@wvericalyn TurboTax updates the software as rules change. My guess would be that an upload is questionable while new dialogue boxes would be much simpler. Unfortunately, I am not privy to the dealings between the state government and TurboTax programmers. All I can say is, we have a good history with state compliance so please check back later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi!  I just checked and was glad to see that there is now a section for pdf uploads in the WV return preparation. Inside that I found the place for prepaid tuition plans to be uploaded and when I clicked the "get pdf" button it let me navigate to the pdf saved on my hard drive and click Open, and then it looked like it uploaded the SMART529 pdf (it shows the path to the pdf on my computer) but I don't get a button to confirm it after that.  I just press continue, which pops me out of the pdf upload dialog, presumably having uploaded it. However, when I get ready to efile and print my returns, I don't see that pdf attached to the files that will presumably be transmitted.  Do you have any light you can shed on this?  It seems so close!

Erica

MACINWWWV

Erica,  Sadly, I have no light to shed.  My sister gave up and re-filed by mail, so she could attach the Smart 529 invoices that showed what she had paid.  She has heard nothing since doing that.  On the other hand, I filed by mail to begin with, and presumably, my return will be rejected for the same reason.  I have the invoices ready, but can't submit a new return to include them until the original is rejected.  Everyone I talk to says do NOT submit a second return when your first one hasn't been either accepted or rejected--that it will just confuse their system.  So I'm (not so patiently) waiting.  In my opinion, this was a HUGE mess up by Turbo Tax, and they have offered little help or advise.  I am glad to hear however that they have FINALLY provided a way to upload the required invoices for e-filing.  Hope your return makes it through the process this time.

Good news - I went ahead and submitted electronically even though I can't see the uploaded required file for the SMART 529 deposit, and got a message that the return was accepted the second time around!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies