alexdiaz10-ad

My sister is the co-borrower for my mortgage. Is she obligated to file a 1098 form? I know legally she can but does she have to? She doesn't reside here or pay anything.

We've had this mortgage for 3 years now and have changed nothing on it. She has not filed it before. She's filing her own taxes and she claims it won't let her continue until she inputs the information.

MinhT

If your sister did not pay the mortgage installments, she cannot claim mortgage interest even if her name is on the mortgage. He does not have to, and she must not file form 1098.

MinhT