Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Self-employment income and expenses always have the status "needs review". And I can't add another line of work. What's wrong? Thank you!

I saw similar questions before but those recommendations don't work in may case.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

My Self-employment income and expenses always have the status "needs review". And I can't add another line of work. What's wrong? Thank you!

You may not have answered all the interview questions for your line of work.  To go through the process and verify all the sections of your self-employment income (click Edit or Review everywhere you can).

To add another line of work (another Schedule C) in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Click Add another line of work to add another business
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your answer.  

I tried and checked everything - no result .  There is some glitch in TurboTax. And because this line of work "needs review" I can't add another one. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

One business is not related to another and you should be able to add all that you need despite one needing review. You don't state the review issue so I can't help other than to give you my favorite IRS website: Small business.

Of course, it's not related. But for some reason in Turbotax I can't add it until the previous one is done. I tried to contact the support team but they are absolutely useless - they have zero knowledge of taxes and they see Tubotax for the first time. 

tt.jpg

DawnC
Expert Alumni

I think you are in the Review section instead of the Self-Employment Income and Expenses section.   To get out of the Review section, click on Wages and Income in the far left panel.  

Click on Review next to Self-employment income and expenses.   Then you can click on Add Another Line of Work.   You can also edit your other business.   After you enter general info for each business, the status will show Needs Review until you go through Income, Expenses, and Uncommon Situations, including the QBI questions.   After you go through Income, Expenses, and Uncommon situations,  click on I'm Done and you will get the QBI questions.  

Thank you for your answer!

I did exactly what you said. 

1.jpg

I clicked the Review button. 

But then I have a different screen.  Here: 

2.jpg

And no matter what I choose, after I click Continue it brings me to my first line of work. 

3.jpg

There is no list of self-employed incomes. No Add Another Line of Work.

There is something wrong with Quickbook integration - it messes something in schedule c. But I can't talk to real tech support - all support is from clowns who know nothing about taxes and TurboTax.  I even upgraded to TurboTax live but nothing changes - same idiots on the phone.  I've spent more than 3 hours talking to them! Zero result!

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@m73b54 

Ok, i did it - 1083691

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Based on your screen shot from the review, and my reviewing your return, it looks like you have uncategorized expenses in Quickbooks that are transferring to TurboTax as "undefined".  You need to review your entries in Quickbooks and give a specific category for any expenses listed under "Uncategorized Expense".  Then you will need to clear your return in TurboTax Online and start over.

To do clear and start over in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your return, click on Tax Tools in the black menu on the left side of the screen.
  2. Click on Clear & Start Over and follow the prompts

@m73b54 

Thank you but I don't have any Uncategorized Expenses in quickbook.  

I think there is something wrong with vehicles. Maybe I can delete that form in Schedule C and re-enter it again?

I don't want to clear all returns because I spent a couple of hours filling it out.

Is there any way I can talk to actual tech support? Not those morons who usually answer the phone. I think they are paid by hours which is why they are ready to sit on the phone for hours doing nothing.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I would suggest that you speak to a live expert by selecting Live Help appearing on the lower right hand corner of your screen.

That live help is the same useless morons. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies