Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return was rejected, I don’t have my correct 2019 AGI. What can I do? I’ve requested for a paper delivery of my correct AGI thru the IRS but that will take 5-7 days.

Are there any options for me? Will I get penalized if I don’t file tonight?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My return was rejected, I don’t have my correct 2019 AGI. What can I do? I’ve requested for a paper delivery of my correct AGI thru the IRS but that will take 5-7 days.

@aimedtoyourheart wrote:
Are there any options for me? Will I get penalized if I don’t file tonight?

If you are due a Federal refund, there is a no penalty for a late Federal return.  Also, since you efiled on time, but your return was rejected, you have extra time to correct the rejected return and resubmit the efile.  In that circumstance, you have until May 22 to either successfully e-file or mail in the Federal return.

When did you file your 2019 return?  Did you file it on time last year by efile, and did the IRS finish processing it prior to November?   

Or did you file it late--after mid-November 2020?   Or was it filed on time, but the IRS took a long time processing it, and the IRS had not finished processing it prior to mid-November 2020?   In either of those late cases, you can use a 2019 AGI of 0 (zero.)

How did you prepare the 2019 return?  If it was prepared in Online TurboTax, we can tell you how to find it.   If it's not in the same account as your 2020 return, we can tell you how to look for multiple accounts.

Wow! Thank you for your quick response. I filed with my CPA on time last year, but it was rejected and he had to paper file it. Then I was audited and had to send all of this paper work the IRS asked for. Not sure why this happened as I have been going to the same guy for 11 years.

I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell you if the IRS has even processed it. I would assume they haven’t because I am yet to receive any refunds. 

@aimedtoyourheart wrote:

Wow! Thank you for your quick response. I filed with my CPA on time last year, but it was rejected and he had to paper file it. Then I was audited and had to send all of this paper work the IRS asked for. Not sure why this happened as I have been going to the same guy for 11 years.

I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell you if the IRS has even processed it. I would assume they haven’t because I am yet to receive any refunds. 

That situation is very common for those who had to file by mail and whose return is still being manually processed.   The IRS is way behind on many 2019 returns that required manual processing.  If the IRS is still processing your 2019 return, you can try using a 2019 AGI of 0 (zero.)     Even if they were to finish processing it now, you'd still have to use a 2019 AGI of 0.    Any filer whose return was processed after mid-November 2020 likely has to use a 2019 AGI of 0.  

Okay, thank you for clarifying and being thorough! I quickly changed and resent the e-file with an AGI of 0. I didn’t changed the option of choosing “I filed taxes last year.” Or “I filed 2019 taxes last year.” I know it was along those lines. But hopefully that does not effect anything. 

it’s very reassuring to hear that it’s common when having to paper mail. Would you happen to know why My return would have been rejected to begin with for 2019? I really don’t want to go through another audit... 

@aimedtoyourheart wrote:

Would you happen to know why My return would have been rejected to begin with for 2019? I really don’t want to go through another audit... 

Sorry, but this is a user community forum, and no one here can know anything specific about your 2019 return.  A return can have an efile rejection for many reasons.   And the reason for the 2019 efile rejection and the reason for the subsequent audit are not necessarily related.  The person who would know why you had a 2019 efile rejection as well as the reason for the subsequent tax audit would be the person who prepared it.  I would also presume that the IRS letters that asked you for various documents also would have said what they are looking at.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies