turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

307marv1
Returning Member

My return was rejected for duplicate 1099-R but I have one for me and one for my wife so they are duplicates except for the name?

TT Advised it was their pblm on 3 May and would have a solution in about an hour. Mailed mine today. Tks

My return was rejected for duplicate 1099-R but I have one for me and one for my wife so they are duplicates except for the name?

So I'm guessing they never provided a fix within an hour? I have had to paper file a couple years ago and definitely want to avoid having to do so again. I'll see if I can make some small relatively immaterial changes to the payer info or will end up having to change one of the amounts to 0.01 cents less. But if TT rounds to the nearest dollar, doesn't that mean it'll still read them as duplicate?

FYI, another thread on this issue has a few replies starting yesterday that their returns were finally accepted.  I just refiled my return without making any changes and will report back if it was successful or not. 

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms. 

And it finally works!!  

You DO NOT have to do the $0.01 trick anymore and can submit it as intended.  I got a return accepted email just 21 minutes after the return sent confirmation email.  So I can confirm that as of today, it is working. 

How do i fix:

"Duplicate 1099R - Unfortunately, we've noticed your return may have included duplicate Form 1099-R information. Please login to TurboTax in order to resolve this issue before we can e-file your accurate return."

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You want to return to the 1099-R section (Retirement Income) and delete the duplicate entry.   Be careful when deleting as one may have been fully entered and the duplicate may have just been started.  In that case, you want to delete the empty form, not the one you entered all the detail for.   Search for 1099-R in the search box and use the Jump to 1099-R link to be taken to the summary screen.   From here you can see a list of 1099-Rs on your return.   Click on Edit to review them and Delete the one that you do not need.     

Alternative directions.   How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?   Note, deleting forms in this manner does not allow you to review them before deleting.   So, only use this method when you know which form you want to delete (they may be listed in the forms list exactly the same).   

And if you are using the desktop software, you can click on Forms at the top.   You can view and delete from the Forms list.    @Aviation1973

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dokteriq

Nope. Rejected twice just now. This is still a problem.

dokteriq

There are no dups. One is for me one for wife, two different account numbers. Same financial institution and same amount. Rejected twice by IRS and turbutax support looked at it and confirmed the forms are correctly entered.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@dokteriq It's a silly error but it catches folks a lot.  It's designed to keep someone from accidentally entering their 1099-R twice by mistake.  It has been submitted for a fix.

In the meantime go to one of the 1099-R's and add $0.01 to one of the amounts.  The IRS rounds everything off to the nearest dollar so the penny won't change the numbers that you are submitting.  But the program will read the 1099-Rs as two different forms going forward.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dokteriq

I have friends using TurboTax for several years with no issues. There is something special about a subset of scenarios with this happen.

TurboTax can add the validation in the prep area to make sure there is no duplicates but it shouldnt be happening once I submit 😐

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies