Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return this year is half of what I got last year despite the fact that I made nearly double the money working the same job. Can anyone please explain this?

I am barley getting a return at all this year
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My return this year is half of what I got last year despite the fact that I made nearly double the money working the same job. Can anyone please explain this?

The more money you make the higher tax bracket you go up to, which can cause a lower refund or taxes due. Also, some credits that were available when you filed your 2021 taxes, are not available in 2022 tax filing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The more money you make the higher tax bracket you go up to, which can cause a lower refund or taxes due. Also, some credits that were available when you filed your 2021 taxes, are not available in 2022 tax filing.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends. There are many reasons this could happen, from life changes to tax law changes. The best thing to do is to compare your current tax return with your prior year return to see exactly what's different. Use the link below to see your 1040 for 2022.

1. Grab a copy of your 1040 from last year and let’s get started.
    1. After you Sign in to TurboTax, 
    2. Click Pick up where you left off
    3. Select Tax Tools from the left menu
    4. Then Tools
    5. Next select View Tax Summary
    6. then Preview My 1040 from the left menu
    7. First, look to see if you filing status changed this year?  Your filing status will change if you got married or divorced, or if your spouse died.
  2. Then check your your dependents. Once your child reaches 17 years old, they no longer qualify for the “Child Tax Credit” and switch to the “Credit for Other Dependent” instead. Look to see which box is checked next to each dependent listed on your return. 
  3. Now, take a look at your total income on line 9. Changes here can be significant from one year to the next as your work changes.
  4. Next, review line 12 to see if your deductions have changed. Each year, TurboTax calculates the best option for you. Either the Standard Deduction or itemized deductions, whichever is higher based on all the information you’ve entered.
  5. Now check your total tax on Line 24, to see if it's increased or decreased from last year. 
  6. Also, look to see how your Federal Tax withholdings and estimated tax payments changed on lines 25d and 26. 
  7. Lastly, review your total payments and refundable credits on line 33. 
  8. Locating the lines where your tax return has changed, will help you better understand the exact reasons your refund is lower this year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies