turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund was offset. My child’s father owes arrears for child support & his refund was offset. Will IRS offset his backpay & apply it to my debt?

Will I receive a lump sum from the non custodial parent or will IRS keep the money to pay more on my debt?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My refund was offset. My child’s father owes arrears for child support & his refund was offset. Will IRS offset his backpay & apply it to my debt?

OK ... you are talking about 2 different things.  His refund was grabbed to pay the back child support and will be sent to the child support division who in turn will issue you a check.  At no time does this go back to the IRS so they cannot grab it. However paying down your IRS debt when you get the money would be wise since the Penalties and Interest on it is compounding daily. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

OK ... you are talking about 2 different things.  His refund was grabbed to pay the back child support and will be sent to the child support division who in turn will issue you a check.  At no time does this go back to the IRS so they cannot grab it. However paying down your IRS debt when you get the money would be wise since the Penalties and Interest on it is compounding daily. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies