Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund amount was displayed at the top the entire time I have been filing. Now when i went to click on explain amount it lowered it.

I’m not sure what happened but I’m really confused. I already thought it was kind of low having 3 kids. Then it lowered once I wanted to see the explanation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

My refund amount was displayed at the top the entire time I have been filing. Now when i went to click on explain amount it lowered it.

The refund amount at the top of your screen is just an estimate but will fluctuate based upon additional entries you make and questions you answer as you proceed through the program. 

The final refund amount will be displayed once you complete the review section for your federal and state programs.  

If you'd like, you can also preview your 1040 tax form if you are online.

1. To do this, log back into TurboTax and continue.
  2. This will pull up the menu on the left side of your screen.
  3. Once this menu pulls up, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  4. This will pull up the Tools Center box.  On this screen, select View Tax Summary.
  5. You will see a screen that says "Review Tax Summary".
  6. On the left panel, you should see Preview my 1040.  Select this and you will be able to review your actual tax form.
  7. This will allow you to review the individual line items so you can confirm and verify your income amounts and make corrections in the interview sections if needed.
  8. Once you are done reviewing your 1040, select Back on the left panel to return to the interview section of the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies