Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Quickbooks selfemployed has expired. Tax filing deadline is July 15th. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

My Quickbooks selfemployed has expired. Tax filing deadline is July 15th. What do I do?

What do you want to do? As I recall, QBSE comes in 2 flavors, one that includes TurboTax and one that does not. Both are a monthly subscription price.  You could simply renew your subscription. Or, purchase TurboTax home and business to install on your own computer or use TurboTax online self-employment version to prepare your return. Or, go to a different tax preparer.

Thanks Opus 17. It was always included when I paid for Turbotax after filing. It is very convenient but now they kind of hold me hostage until I pay.... which itself defeats the purpose of the government to postpone the tax deadline. I guess I have to figure out how to pay in advance for tax filing. Just need to make sure I get the same tax product as last year, and unfortunately they are not very clear about what options I have and don't make it easy to find stuff  on Turbotax 🙂

Just found this " If you don’t pay for TurboTax, export your data, or download your tax summary by April 30, you’ll need to pay for another year’s subscription to QuickBooks Self-Employed."

Oh wow, it seems they found a way to make some extra money out of the coronavirus crisis and the postponing of the tax deadline...way to go Turbotax!

What can I do before my QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription ends on April 30?

The IRS has extended the Tax Year 2019 filing deadline to July 15, 2020. But, if you got a free subscription for QuickBooks Self-Employed last year, it ends on April 30, 2020.

To get the most out of your existing free subscription and use your QuickBooks Self-Employed tax info to file your taxes for 2019, you need to export it to TurboTax before April 30. You have a few ways to do this and we'll guide you through the best one for you.

Before your subscription ends on April 30

You can:

• Export your tax summary to TurboTax.
  • Make changes to your tax summary.

Go here for info on how to export your data to TurboTax. Doing this will allow you to file after your subscription has ended if needed (you won’t be able to access or edit your QuickBooks Self-Employed tax summary at this point).

We also recommend you download a PDF of your tax summary from QuickBooks Self-Employed for your records. To get it:

1. Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed.
  2. Go to the 2019 Taxes tab.
  3. Select the Email tax details dropdown and then Download tax summary.
Keep your free QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription

If you pay for TurboTax before April 30, you get another free year of QuickBooks Self-Employed and can file your taxes when you’re ready.

To pay for TurboTax from a web browser:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Select Tax Tools.
  3. Select Print center and then Pay now.

To pay for TurboTax from the mobile app:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. From the navigation bar, select File.
  3. Select Review your order. Then choose how you want to pay.
Export your data after April 30

If you don’t pay for TurboTax, export your data, or download your tax summary by April 30, you’ll need to pay for another year’s subscription to QuickBooks Self-Employed.

To find out more about Tax Year 2019, go to Intuit's COVID-19 Tax Center.

You posted your own answer ...  this is standard procedure and there is no exception for the virus ... 

If you don’t pay for TurboTax, export your data, or download your tax summary by April 30, you’ll need to pay for another year’s subscription to QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Log  into your QB account ...   https://selfemployed.intuit.com/login?utm_source=QBO&utm_medium=Web&utm_content=SignIn

..except that the tax deadline was postponed by 3 month

Intuit is a private company, and they can charge whatever they want and set any terms they want. You agreed to those terms when you bought your subscription last year.  If you don’t like the terms, don’t patronize the company.

Personally, I have a big problem with subscription services. I would rather buy a music CD and scan it into my own computer than subscribe to a subscription service or buy DRM protected downloads that will disappear if the company decides it doesn’t like my business.  (Amazon recently canceled a few hundred accounts that were perpetrating review fraud. All of the account holders digital content vanished along with their reviews, even though they had paid for the content.  It turns out that if you buy a book, you own the book, but if you “Buy” an e-book, you are only leasing it for as long as the content provider allows.)

if I needed QuickBooks for my home business, I would buy the software to install on my computer. It costs more, but I’m not held hostage to a subscription. I understand this is a philosophical discussion rather than an answer to your problem, but there isn’t anything I can do about Intuit’s subscription policies.

The FILING deadline was extended ... not the QB deadline ... they would have sent you email alerts that the access was ending and to continue you would need to pay for the program in one way or another.   To pay for the SE program before filing  can be done and your own post has the method.  If you did not want to continue using the QB program then you should have completed your 2019 entries and downloaded the information by the date given.  You had to either pay for the SE program or the QB program so you have access to both year round... that is how they work in conjunction with one another. 

I agree with paying for a downloaded bookkeeping version of some kind ... you pay for it once and it lasts for years instead of paying a monthly fee every month ... in the long run a download is cheaper. 

I just paid the ransom money to get access to my data from last year so I can spend $355 again to file with Turbotax...all good 🙂

$335.47...sorry

With all fairness I like the ease of use of QB Self-employed on the mobile app and desktop, and the seamless integration of paypal and all my bank accounts (with some glitches). I knew it was just a question of time that they try to make (more) money out of it. Curious to see what happens once I file, will I be able to cancel the additional subscription? Also, still waiting for them to try to charge for Mint.

Well in all fairness Intuit is a for profit public company ... they have to turn a profit to keep the shareholders happy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies