qdatq

My mom filed her tax return with the box "Someone can claim you as a dependent" using TurboTax. Does that mean she claimed herself? How does she un-claim herself?

I am claiming my mom as a dependent. She is qualified as my dependent for 2018. It just that my tax return got rejected by e-filing because it says she claimed herself. But I believe once the Box was checked "Someone can claim you as a dependent" on her tax return, that means she was not claiming herself. I am confused. I do not want her to amend her tax return if the box  "Someone can claim you as a dependent" means she is not claiming herself. I can just mail my tax return without any amendment.

AlanT

No, if your mom checked the box "Someone can claim you as dependent" then she did not claim herself.  

Yes, you will have to mail your return in order to claim your Mom as a dependent.  

Once the IRS receives and processes your return in the mail, they will contact you regarding the dependent claim if there is a problem with your filing.  

AlanT

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing