Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mom (and co-signer) pays my student loans - do I file them on my tax returns or does she?

My mom is my cosigner on my student loans and she makes the payments. I was unemployed for two years after college and was her dependent, so she claimed the student loans on her tax returns. Now I'm no longer her dependent and I have a job, but she continued to make the payments on the loans. So, do I claim the loans on my tax return because I'm no longer a dependent, or can she still continue claiming them, given she has been making the payments?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

My mom (and co-signer) pays my student loans - do I file them on my tax returns or does she?

To claim a deduction you must be legally obligated (co-signing counts) to repay the loan and you must actually make the payments. If you are no longer a dependent, payments made by you are deductible by you and payments made by your parent(s) are deductible by your parent(s).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

To claim a deduction you must be legally obligated (co-signing counts) to repay the loan and you must actually make the payments. If you are no longer a dependent, payments made by you are deductible by you and payments made by your parent(s) are deductible by your parent(s).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies