Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mz15
Level 2

My K-1 1065 shows net income of 40K, but box 1 shows ordinary income of -10k. If I just follow questions in turbotax it shows as total negative. What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

My K-1 1065 shows net income of 40K, but box 1 shows ordinary income of -10k. If I just follow questions in turbotax it shows as total negative. What am I missing?

According to the instructions for Box 11 Code ZZ that came with your K-1, you do not need to enter anything for this box. Instead, follow these instructions:

1. Substitute Payments in Lieu of Dividends are reported as Other Income. You can enter this as Miscellaneous Income under the Less Common Income topic of Wages & Income. Choose "Other reportable income" and enter a description that reflects the source (ex: K-1 Box 11 Payments in Lieu of Dividends). This income will appear on Schedule 1 Line 8.

2. Section 475(f) Mark to Market adjustments are reported on Form 4797 as the sale of business property held for less than a year. See this TurboTax article for the step-by-step instructions to enter this amount: How do I report my trader activity with or without Section 475(f) election in TurboTax?

You should be able to make these entries in any paid version of TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify where your Form 1065 Schedule K-1 reports net income of $40,000.

mz15
Level 2

That is in section L of part 1. The income of 50K is shown in Box 11ZZ, and no matter what I do nothing from box 11 trickles down to 1040. I tried changing Passive/Non-passive partner. I tried changing the letter category of box 11. I tried deleting that partnership from turbotax altogether and entering it anew. I tried restarting TT many times.
No matter what I do info from Box 11 is completely ignored

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

How is the Box 11 Code ZZ income described in the K-1 supplemental information? In most cases, you need to manually report this income in another section of your return - it doesn't flow like most of the other income boxes.

Once you have identified where this income should be reported, use the Search box and enter the form number/name. From the list that appears, select the topic that best matches the description given in your K-1, and then let TurboTax guide you the rest of the way.

mz15
Level 2

DESCRIPTION
PARTNER FILING INSTRUCTIONS
AMOUNT
PAYMENTS IN LIUE OF DIVIDENDS
CONSULT YOUR TAX ADVISOR
XXXX
TRADING INCOME/LOSS (SEC. 475F ELECTION)
CONSULT YOUR TAX ADVISOR
XXXX

TOTAL TO SCHEDULE K-1, BOX 11, CODE ZZ

XXXX
mz15
Level 2

And then there is this:

THE PARTNERSHIP HAS TAKEN POSITION THAT IT IS ENGAGED IN THE

ACTIVE CONDUCT OF BUSINESS AS A "TRADER" IN SECURITIES.

UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED, THE TRADING ACTIVITIES OF THE

PARTNERSHIP ARE NOT PASSIVE LOSSES AND ARE NOT PORTFOLIO

LOSSES FOR PURPOSES OF THE PASSIVE ACTIVITY LOSS RULES UNDER

TEMP. REG. SEC. 1.469-1T(E)(6) AND SEC.1.469-2T(C)(3)(II)D).

CONSULT YOUR TAX ADVISOR.

mz15
Level 2

1 more paragraph, if that helps

INCLUDE GAINS REPORTED ON FORM 4797, PART II,ON FORM 4952,

LINE 4A. THIS INCOME IS CONSIDERED PART OF NET INVESTMENT

INCOME FOR PURPOSES OF COMPUTING THE NET INVESTMENT

INTEREST EXPENSE DEDUCTION.

mz15
Level 2

@PatriciaVCan you please advice on how to enter that data from K-1p box 11ZZ in Turbotax? I have tried both the online and the desktop versions. There is no access to the forms in online version at all. In the desktop I do see form 4797, but most of the fields are not editable.
Thanks in advance!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

According to the instructions for Box 11 Code ZZ that came with your K-1, you do not need to enter anything for this box. Instead, follow these instructions:

1. Substitute Payments in Lieu of Dividends are reported as Other Income. You can enter this as Miscellaneous Income under the Less Common Income topic of Wages & Income. Choose "Other reportable income" and enter a description that reflects the source (ex: K-1 Box 11 Payments in Lieu of Dividends). This income will appear on Schedule 1 Line 8.

2. Section 475(f) Mark to Market adjustments are reported on Form 4797 as the sale of business property held for less than a year. See this TurboTax article for the step-by-step instructions to enter this amount: How do I report my trader activity with or without Section 475(f) election in TurboTax?

You should be able to make these entries in any paid version of TurboTax.

mz15
Level 2

@PatriciaV 
The above suggestion in regards to Box 11 ZZ worked. Thanks a lot!
Now I have similar problems with Box 13 ZZ and Box 20 A, Z, and AJ.
The instructions for Box 13 ZZ tell that I am supposed to report that as

EXPENSES RELATED TO TRADING ACTIVITY  on Schedule E.
I see that amount on the worksheet, but it does not reflect in the Schedule E, and in the final refund.

Also Box 20 - I do not see it affect the bottom line

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies