Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

31679lcbc

My husband is getting social security but I am not and I earn well over the combined limit. Should we file married filing separately?

My husband is also still working with adds to the amount over the income limit for social security recipients
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

My husband is getting social security but I am not and I earn well over the combined limit. Should we file married filing separately?

We can't tell you if you should file Married Filing Separately (MFS) or Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), but there are certain rules you must follow if you file MFS and live in a community property state. 

For additional information, review the TurboTax articles Should You and Your Spouse File Jointly or Separately? and  Married Filing Separately in community property states.

Since you indicated that although your husband is collecting Social Security benefits, he's still working and that income puts him over the threshold, part of his Social Security income will be taxable no matter if you file MFS or MFJ. 

Refer to the TurboTax articles Is my Social Security income taxable?  and How does receiving Social Security affect my taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the combined limit for the taxability of social security? 

with MFS returns 85% of his social security benefits will be taxed regardless of his income. Certain credits may be lost and there may be limitations on other items 

The norm is a joint return produces lower taxes than 2 married filing separate returns.  the only way to know for sure is to prepare 3 returns; a joint and one married filing separately for each of you. if one uses the standard deduction the other can't itemize and vice versa  - the same method must be used on both.

with MFS returns 85% of his social security benefits will be taxed regardless of his income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies